Sunday, March 3, 2013

Presage


Jason asked me to marry him.  

Her voice was thin and distant. The immediate swell of disquietude was respectfully hidden by a thousand miles and a cell phone. Through my teeth, I told her that I was happy. I may have even forced an invisible smile.

I said yes. 

Katie was my housemate for a year or two during grad school. Back then, we both needed each other. My courage. Her sanity. Red wine and tomato bruschetta for dinner every night. She was good for me. But even then, I knew she needed me more.

You're going to be there, right? 

Only four months ago he left her to "figure things out." But she was buried deep beyond the jurisdiction of reasonable advice by then. Now he asked for a commitment she had already made. In a precipitate both belated and breakneck, we exhaled into the space between us.

Of course


10 comments:

  1. It's difficult to watch when our friends make choices we feel will ultimately hurt them... we just have to be there for them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend is in love with a violently abusive boyfriend, it's so difficult and there's nothing I can do...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It takes a good friend to support another even if you don't necessarily agree with what they are doing.

    This world needs more loyal people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for your comment<3 lovely blog


    xxBianca
    www.xoxololita.xom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Launna...it's a very difficult thing to watch and witness but ultimately all we can do is be there for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i hate that feeling as you watch someone make mistakes. but it's true, all you can do is be there. of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saddening, especially when it happens to a good old friend! I can't imagine how difficult the conversation was for you. Hope things will change for better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, sweet Thranduil on a moose!

    *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  9. through thick and thin. isn't perspective a terrible, and beautiful thing?

    ReplyDelete